Housing Services Mid Michigan provides HUD approved housing counseling services to individuals facing mortgage or tax foreclosure. An experienced housing counselor works with clients to explain the foreclosure process, communicate with mortgage companies or treasurer's office, develop a sustainable household budget, and review options to avoid a foreclosure. A housing counselor can help clients apply for available programs such as Michigan's Hardest Hit Fund and/or loss mitigation options offered by the mortgage company.
Individuals or families who are behind on their mortgage or property taxes, or who are struggling to make monthly payments should call (517) 541-1180 to schedule an appointment with a housing counselor. Appointments are available in Eaton and Barry counties.
Information to Bring to Appointment
- Proof of income for last 30 days (pay stubs, award letter, etc.)
- Bank statements for last 30 days
- Most recent mortgage statement
- Most recent property tax statement (if applicable)
- Any communication from mortgage company or attorneys for the mortgage company
- Budget documents (utility bills, other expenses)
Download and complete the application (3 documents) before your appointment or fill it in when you get to our office: Document 1, Document 2, Document 3
Step Forward Michigan- one time financial assistance to bring mortgage/property taxes current. Call HSMM if you need help with the application process.
Homeowner's Guide to Success: What to Do If You Can't Pay Your Mortgage
Starting Over After Foreclosure Toolkit
SCAM ALERT: Loan Modification scammers can take your money and your home if you're not cautious and well-informed. Please visit www.LoanScamAlert.org for further information on how to spot and report loan modification scams or call 1-888-995-4673.
If you are worried about keeping your home AVOID anyone that:
- Asks for a FEE in advance
- Guarantees that they'll stop a foreclosure or modify a loan
- Tells you to STOP PAYING your mortgage company and to pay them instead.
HSMM is a HUD approved housing counseling agency and we are adopters of the National Industry Standards of Homeownership Counseling.