How to Apply
Housing Services Mid-Michigan Mainstream Voucher Waitlist for Clinton & Eaton Counties:
Currently open from Monday, February 5th, 2024 at 9 am until March 1st, 2024 at 5 pm.
To be placed on the Mainstream Voucher Waitlist you must be:
1. The head of household; Non-elderly aged 18-61 years old and have a verifiable disability
a. The participant’s disability must be verified by either the participant’s doctor or one’s Social Security Determination letter.
This rental subsidy program is designed to assist low income, non-elderly (18-61), disabled households. Participants pay 30% of their income and the program pays the difference directly to the landlord. Rental costs must meet Fair Market Rents set by HUD annually and be considered reasonable for that type of unit. An inspection of the unit is required on a bi-annual basis to ensure safety and quality standards are met. The participant’s disability must be verified by either the participant’s doctor or one’s Social Security Determination letter.
All applications must be electronically filled out and submitted on out website at https://hs-mm.org/mainstream. Paper applications will NOT be available at our office and applications and proof of disability cannot be dropped off in person at our office. Completed applications will be placed on the waitlist in the order received.
In addition to electronically submitting your application, proof of disability must be provided to HSMM no later than 5:00pm on Friday, March 1st, 2024 by any of the following methods:
emailed to [email protected];
faxed to 517-541-0269; or
mailed to HSMM at PO Box 746, Charlotte, MI 48813 postmarked by 3/1/2024.
Qualified persons will be notified by mail when their name is pulled from the list. For more information please visit our website https://hs-mm.org/mainstream/. If you have any questions, please contact Joseph Sigmon at 517-541-1180.
Housing Services manages 212 Mainstream Vouchers in Clinton and Eaton counties. The vouchers are specifically for individuals age 18-61 with a verifiable disability. Participants in this program pay 30% of their monthly income towards rent and utility payments. HSMM provides case management to participants and supports landlords to minimize conflicts and prevent evictions.
- Prompt payment of rent
- Guaranteed payment - the program guarantees on-time payment even if the renter has a history of bad or slow credit payments
- Security - The tenant will be screened by you and HSMM
- Long-term income without continuous turnover of tenants
- The development of a long-term relationship. Section 8 vouchers do not expire. Landlords will be able to keep their units rented as long as the landlord/tenant relationship is mutually beneficial
- Only pay approximately 30% of your monthly income toward your rent and utilities
- Full-service, prompt, case management to help solve problems including landlord and tenant disputes
- The support of the HSMM staff in various aspects of renting and life skills
- Unit must pass annual Housing Quality Standards inspection
- Conduct your business as usual
- Screen applicants using regular tenant application
- Maintain a safe living environment
- Report any changes to the HSMM voucher case manager
- Comply with the HAP contract and Tenancy Addendum
- Supply true and complete required information
- Be and remain drug free, with no criminal activity
- Pay your portion of the rent on time
- Maintain a clean and safe living environment
- Promptly inform the landlord and HSMM of any intent to vacate/move
- Report all changes in income or family composition to the HSMM voucher case manager
The wait list for this program is long and moves slowly. Clients are encouraged to seek out other programs that help make housing affordable while they are on our wait list. If you have an immediate housing emergency, please call our office to discuss emergency programs.
Other agencies that administer voucher programs include:
Potterville Housing Commission - 517-645-7076
Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) - 517-373-9344
Lansing Housing Commission - 517-487-6550